9 Credits (ECTS)
General Insurance Products: Commercial Lines
Get 70% back via Tax Credit
€224 refund on this module
This module focuses on commercial (re)insurance products, parties, and contract wordings. Students are exposed to the type of environment which allows for the formation of contract as well as the relationship with market organisations. The module looks at the products and practices of packaged commercial insurance. Students will be exposed to the main types of insurances, the most common extensions and exclusions, the different types of losses, and how small companies use channels to acquire cover.
The syllabus addresses the structure of policies, the function of warranties, and the administrative elements surrounding the renewal process for various commercial insurance products, including:
• Insurance of cargo and goods as well as the transit risks associated with these. Students will examine the most common types of goods traded and the risks associated with these goods.
• The potential risks that commercial property is exposed to as well as available insurance cover. Students will navigate market practices, risk perception and assessment as well as the underwriting process associated with commercial property and business interruption insurances.
• Marine hull and associated liability risks, their insurance, and how it relates to the global shipping market.
• The principles and practices surrounding liability insurances practice as well as the assessment and management of liability risks.
• Other relevant commercial insurance products.
This course is targeted at:
• Individuals seeking to advance their academic and professional knowledge in Insurance.
• Individuals wanting to pursue a wide range of career paths within the insurance profession.
• Individuals wanting to enhance their ability to interpret, assess and communicate insurance related information.
This programme leads to a bachelor’s qualification that will cover the general requirements of the Chartered Insurance Institute, which will secure the competences for individuals who aspire for professional roles in this industry.
The potential positions for which this programme aims to prepare could be and are not limited to:
• Claims: Claims Handler Surveyor, Claims Executives
• Insurance Compliance Officer
• Insurance Advisor
• Insurance Business Analyst / Consultant
• Insurance Operations Executives
• Insurance Product and Business Development Executives
• Risk Management Executives
• Underwriting Executives
How you’ll be assessed
The course comprises:
– 6 lectures per module;
– 3-hour lectures (evening);
– 12 hours of online content per module, comprising synchronous online discussions, tutorials and/or videos.
Assessment is carried out via two mandatory components:
• Modular Assessment;
• Project Assessment
The course also includes additional, specialised support to help you write your Dissertation, including classes on Qualitative/Quantitative data analysis tools, as well as Dissertation Workshops.
Reading for the entire B.Sc. in Insurance Studies as presented herein costs €9,000.*
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be eligible for a 70% refund of the cost through the ‘Get Qualified’ scheme.**
Due to the modular structure of the course, you may also opt to take individual modules as stand-alone. The entry requirements still apply.***
*Prices are applicable to students who reside in Malta at the time of applying.
**Terms and conditions apply.
*** For the price of individual modules, please contact the IDEA Academy team.