6 Credits (ECTS)
Introduction to Ethical Issues in Healthcare
Get 70% back via Tax Credit
€389 refund on this module
The module aims to equip you with the knowledge of the current legal and ethical issues within the healthcare context and the necessary skills to tackle those issues.
You will be introduced to legal and ethical theories, issues, and principles and explore their application within healthcare as applied to the nursing profession. You will be encouraged to take account of the implications of recent events in society, and of new legislation that impacts on healthcare decision making.
This module focuses on the Maltese legislations related to the sector.
This course is targeted at:
• Nurses who are in possession of an MQF Level 4 (or comparable as per MQRIC) in Nursing, who need to upgrade their knowledge, skills, and competences in order to apply for registration with the Maltese Council of Nurses and Midwives as first level nurses.
• Non-EU trained nurses who are in possession of a minimum MQF Level 5 (or comparable as per MQRIC) in Nursing, seeking a bridging course to enable them to apply for registration with the Maltese Council of Nurses and Midwives as first level nurses.
The programme aims to get nurses who are non-EU nationals adequately trained so that they can register as first level nurses in Malta.
How you’ll be assessed
This programme is offered both on a full-time and on a part-time basis. It consists of 9 compulsory modules. Assessment is carried out via three mandatory components:
• lecturer-led sessions;
• 100 hours of supervisor-led simulation practice sessions;
• work placement amounting to 510 hours in a healthcare setting under supervision.
Module Intake Dates
Reading for the entire Diploma in Health Sciences – Nursing Studies as presented herein costs €5,000.*
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be eligible for a 70% refund of the cost through the ‘Get Qualified’ scheme.**
Due to the modular structure of the course, you may also opt to take individual modules as stand-alone. The entry requirements still apply.***
*Prices are applicable to students who reside in Malta at the time of applying.
**Terms and conditions apply.
*** For the price of individual modules, please contact the IDEA Academy team.
1. Critically analyse the research evidence underpinning safe, ethical healthcare and collective responsibility for health
2. Analyse concepts of professional accountability, liability and culpability in a Maltese context and more generally as a registered nurse
3. Formulate and implement safe, effective, ethical, person-centred, holistic, evidence-based nursing care in accordance with the Maltese legislation and the Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct for Nurses and Midwives
4. Critically appraise the the responsibilities of the nurse working within the Code of Ethics set by the parameters of the ‘The Scope of Professional Practice’ of The Council for Nurses and Midwives, Malta (CNM)
5. Demonstrate effective communication and professional values in practice, drawing upon ethical frameworks.